ART BARTER OAXACA
Offer anything for these artworks.. EXCEPT FOR MONEY!About the exhibition
Art Barter'S next edition will take place in Oaxaca, Mexico.
As usual, Art Barter will stage their infamous barter economy approach where you can offer anything in return for the art – except money. Visitors have to get creative and try to win the artworks by offering their skills, possessions, services, hobbies or anything else that they can dream up, encouraging them to think about what they have that is unique and how much they personally value the work.
- is a curated physical exhibition that takes place in a city over a definite period of tim
- invites a range of established, emerging and lesser known artists living and working in the host city to submit one artwork each.
- displays each artwork labelled only with a number (no name, price tag or title attached). A list of artist’s names appears within the information board inside the exhibition.
- is open to the public and free to all.
- invites the public to make offers on the artworks using provided barter forms. The bids are then displayed within the exhibition for new visitors to read and get inspired by.
- only reveals which artwork was made by which artist after the end of the exhibition by announcing it on the website.
- informs each artist of all of the offers made on their artwork during the exhibition.
- facilitates finding out further information at the artist’s request and then introduces the winning bidder to the artist so the exchange can take place.
- gives the artist the option of keeping their artwork if they do not wish to exchange.
- announces the winning bids on their website!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1) The identity of the artist is not revealed before the end of the show. Each artwork is presented with only a number next to it, no name, price tag or title will appear.
2) The public is freely invited to make offers on the artworks, offering anything except for money.
3) The offers that the public makes become a growing part of the exhibition as they appear on the "About the Artwork" board. Get inspired by taking a look at the current offers!
4) All the offers will be passed onwards to the artists, who will then decide which service or good he wants to exchange his work against (if any).
5) The winning bids will be announced on Collectionair, artbarter.com and by email.
6) Collectionair and Art Barter will connect the artist with the successful bidder so that the exchange can take place.
Participating artists include:
Adeline de Monseignat
Jaime Ruiz Otis
José Maria Rubio Venegas
Lissette Jiménez Díaz
Manuel Rocha Iturbide
Pablo de Laborde Lascaris
Pablo Vargas Lugo
Santiago Rojo Guadarrama
Victor del Moral Rivera
About the curator
Created in 2012 by Lauren Jones and Alix Janta-Polczynski, Alteria Art is an art organisation with a two-fold core mission: to support young and emerging talents and to champion a more open access to art making and collecting.
Alteria Art aims to implement those goals, working closely with both established and emerging contemporary artists through an eclectic mix of projects. These range from worldwide Art Barter events, to charitable projects, such as The Artists’ Colouring Book of ABC’s; giving artists studio time to learn new skills and produce limited edition prints, curating solo and group exhibitions across international locations and being a conduit for collaboration between inspirational people across all creative fields.
Alix Janta-Polczynski and Lauren Jones started working together in 2009 when they launched the original Art Barter event in London. Alix is a freelance curator and is the co-founder of photo publishing company Adad Books with Ines de Bordas. Lauren, also a freelance curator, works with James Putnam as an artist liaison on their independent projects and for the University of the Arts, London.